Saturday 7 June 2008

James McAvoy: 'I Prefer Washing up to High Life'

James McAvoyJames McAvoy says that just because he's a movie star doesn't mean he doesn't do his own washing and cooking.


The Scottish actor, whose comic book thriller Wanted -- which also stars Angelina Jole -- is out this month, says he is frightened of guns - and gets his kicks from cooking and doing the dishes.


He says, "People seem to be shocked when I tell them that I like to do my own washing-up. I mean doing the dishes.


"I think people assume because you do a couple of movies, you're living the high life.


"And I really don't. I have a fairly normal existence.


"I like to think that if I did earn millions and millions, I would hope I didn't hire a cook or bottle washer.


"It's an absolute joy to cook. I eat out so much because of my job. When I'm at home and not working, I cook all the time. It's one of the things that we've all done since the beginning of time. I'd feel like I was distancing myself from the rest of humanity if I didn't cook."


McAvoy, 28, (pictured above with his 'Atonement' co-star Keira Knightley), married actress Anne-Marie Duff, 37, after they met on the set of Channel 4's Shameless.


The couple lead a low-key life in the modest north London flat she owned before marrying and they drive a 10-year-old Nissan Micra.




See Also